Caption for Amwell, the New River c1955
Various schemes had been proposed to bring fresh water to London; it was around 1600 that Edmund Colthurst identified the springs at Chadwell and Amwell as an ideal source. Work began on the New River with funding from Hugh Myddleton in 1610, and despite a number of delays through objections by local landowners, the project was completed within a few years. The photograph shows the idyllic and peaceful scene near the source of the New River, a contrast with its southern end in the bustling capital. The memorial on the right is inscribed with John Scott's words: 'AMWELL! Perpetual be thy stream: Nor e'en thy spring be less: Which thousands drink who never dream: Whence flows the boon they bless'.