Caption for Aysgarth, Middle Fall And Church 1887
As the River Ure gathers pace, augmented by Semer Water, it flows over some of the most spectacular falls in the Dales. Aysgarth's three falls have enchanted visitors since the railway brought Victorian town dwellers to Wensleydale. The water provided power for the two mills; the last closed in 1965, and the other generated electricity for the village until 1948. The village blacksmith retired in 1954, the year the railway also finished. The old school house was later a sanatorium from 1907 to 1947, and then became the Youth Hostel. The church of St Andrew, left, overlooks the falls and houses treasures from Jervaulx Abbey.