Caption for Boxgrove, The Village C1960
We are on the southern slope of the Downs, north of Chichester. Boxgrove Priory, of the Benedictine Order, was founded in 1105. At its dissolution in 1537, the priory church became the parish church dedicated to St Mary and St Blaise. The remainder of the monastic buildings were ruined, but some parts survive and are conserved. The De La Warr Chantry is a building within a building; here, priests prayed for the soul of its builder. Chantry chapels were declared illegal in 1547, and although the statues have long gone much carved stonework survives. The picture shows the road past the school with the Priory on the right. The scene today is little changed.