Barnstaple, The Square 1929
Memories of Barnstaple
The Castle used to be the home of the borough council, but was demolished some time during the 1960s and a new civic centre, which is an eyesore, was built on the land opposite. It was an absolute travesty that this lovely building was destroyed.
Date of this photograph is c1874/75 as the railway viaduct is complete.
The furniture van to the left will have been carried to Barnstaple by rail. There were special low 'road vehicle trucks' onto which these vans could be loaded and moved long distances around the country. and it is standing next to the end loading docks at this end of the station.
This view shows the junction line which linked the GWR Victoria station with the Junction station - running from left to right and opened in 1887. It must have been almost new when the photo was taken and the earthworks are still bare.
This photo is available to buy in a range of sizes and styles, including framed and on canvas.