Caption for Bridport, The Convent 1903
The Visitation Convent in Pymore Road,
opposite the junction with Coneygar
Road, is shown here from the
potato patch behind it. The boys, both
day pupils and boarders, worshipped
in the Roman Catholic Church in
Victoria Grove. The nuns would not
allow boys to use their names and
instead gave each a number. Many would
remember their best friends as, say,
`Six` or `Twenty-three` for the rest of their
lives. They also recalled a harsh regime in
which casual correction was six strokes
of a bamboo cane across the palm of the
hand from the age of five onwards.
The superior was Sister Mary Elizabeth.
Demolition took place in 2001.