More about this scene
Caption for Abbotts Ann, St Mary's Church 1899:
Most village churches near Andover are older, altered or rebuilt Victorian. St Mary's, rebuilt in 1714, is a larger
Georgian exception, seating 170 in box pews and gallery. The chandelier came from Andover's St Mary's when
that church was rebuilt from 1842. The Georgian font is from another church. Hanging inside are paper Virgins'
Crowns, each marking a past village spinster or bachelor - the most recent was put up in 1973.
An extract from
Andover Photographic Memories.