Buy the Print >

Buy "Allenheads, Ropehaugh c.1965" available as a print on its own along with framed and canvas options.

Featuring this image

More about this scene


Caption for Allenheads, Ropehaugh c1965: Situated at the head of the valley of the East Allen, Allenheads was an important centre for the lead-mining industry from the late 18th to the mid 19th century; the mines here produced around 14 per cent of the country's total output. The influx of mine workers brought with it an expansion of the village. New Houses was built in 1788, and Fawside Green and Dudley Place in 1790. Also dating from 1790 is Iceton House, which was once the pay office. There were even workings under the village itself, which were reached by way of a spiral incline.

An extract from Northumberland Tyne and Wear Photographic Memories.

Memories of Allenheads, Ropehaugh c1965

Mrs Brown's shop, at the far left of the picture, is where Mam used to take us for our weekly treat on a Saturday - to choose some sweets from a large selection in a line of big glass jars with ornate lids. Mrs Brown would put them in the shiny pan on her scales, adding the little bronze weights on the balance to get the (...Read full memory)

Sparked a Memory for you?

If this has sparked a memory, why not share it here?

Tools

Add to Favourites Album