Memories Of Bristol Docks
A Memory of Bristol.
The large vessel in the foreground is a pleasure steamer belonging to Campbells, the 'Empress Queen', and was the first screw steamer owned by the company. The vessel on the opposite bank was a William Sloan steamer, registered at Leith, although her name, partly obscured, was not one of their regulars and may have been on charter whilst either the 'Annan' or 'Findhorn' was in dry dock. They operated from Glasgow on a weekly run from that port to Dublin and Bristol. The company became part of Coast Lines in 1958 and their colours disappeared around 1968. Behind the cranes, which were dismantled around 1980, lie the massive tobacco bonds which were dynamited in the 1980s in what was described at the time as the biggest explosion anywhere in the country since the Second World War.
(Added by the Frith Memory Archivist from a letter supplied by Mr S J Woodley)