Featuring this image:

Dorchester Photographic Memories

Dorchester Photographic Memories

The photo 'Fordington, St George's Church 1898' appears in this book.

View Book

More about this scene

The church stands proudly above the village, which used to be totally separated from Dorchester. The much- restored church was first built in the Middle Ages, and the Perpendicular tower is 15th-century. In 1840 the bones of an Iron Age horse, together with its bridle, were discovered beneath the chancel.

An extract from Dorchester Photographic Memories.

Other Memories from Fordington Down

Fordington has changed a lot over the years in that there has been much infilling with houses. At the top of Pound Lane was Moule's Coffee Tavern which was used as a hall and a community space. Nearly opposite over the High Street, was the old grey stone vicarage where the Reverend Henry Moule once lived. The local school was nearby on the hill and at break-time one could hear the small children shouting and ...see more

Sparked a Memory for you?

If this has sparked a memory, why not share it here?

Tools

Add to Album