Old Maps of Horley

Historic Maps of Horley and the local area.

Horley was a series of hamlets on the London to Brighton Road which only began to expand when the London to Brighton railway arrived in 1841. This view of Station Road is taken from the railway footbridge looking north-east.

Horley is on the old main London to Brighton road before it was diverted around the area of new Gatwick airport. Single and two-horse traps wait by the roadside. Corn and coal merchants sell proprietary animal feeds. We can also see London House, a draper’s, Branch’s shop, a dairy and a game and poultry shop. A line of (...Read full memory)