New Quay, The Harbour c.1933
Photo ref: N151069
Made in Britain logo

More about this scene

This view from the end of the stone pier shows the four-storey Custom House surrounded by rowing boats, which were used by both local fishermen and holidaymakers. Fishing was an important local industry, particularly during the 18th century when vast shoals of herring came in the autumn. New Quay now serves a few local fishing boats and many leisure boat owners; a regatta is held annually, which dates back to 1868.

Featuring this image:

This image appears in the Theme:

Britain's Coasts

Gorgeous archive photos of Britain's coastal towns & villages.

A Selection of Memories from New Quay

For many years now, we've been inviting visitors to our website to add their own memories to share their experiences of life as it was, prompted by the photographs in our archive. Here are some from New Quay

Sparked a Memory for you?

If this has sparked a memory, why not share it here?

My memories of New Quay begin in the 1950s I suppose. I was born in Cnwc y Lily in my grandmother's smallholding and lived the first 3 years of my lfe in Gilfachrheda before moving a few miles to Cross Inn. Every school summer holidays on sunny days, my mum, ,my sister and I would walk the 2 miles to New Quay. We would turn in Maenygroes for the short cut down through Francis Street. As we got ...see more
Of all our (my wife & I) favourite places in Wales, Newquay comes top of a long list of places. It was only sometime in the mid 1980's, that we first discovered this haven. We've been back numerous times, never bored with it. Two things spring to mind, Dylan Thomas & Dolphins. I would love to hear a local's view. What did it used to be like, years ago? What is it like in the winter when tourists are not about? For some years, we wanted to move to Wales, & Newquay was top of the list.
William Manning was allocated to us in Church Street. On the day of his arrival he climbed onto the rear of the stone pier and watched the waves breaking against the stones, became dizzy and fell in. He was rescued just before he drowned by New Quay's retired Captain Rees. My mother a retired nurse gave him a brandy in hot milk and put him to bed with a hot water bottle. He was as right as rain the next day and joined our family for breakfast. Mair P. (the Bank House)