More about this scene
Caption for Tilton On The Hill, Church And School C1955:
St Peter's was originally late Norman, but virtually rebuilt in the 15th century. It is notable for its collection of grotesque
gargoyles, and for two carved capitals which are derived from the stories of Reynard the Fox; appropriate in Cottesmore
country. The church was restored in 1854 by Richard Charles Hussey of Birmingham (1802-1887). In 1835 he became a
partner of the great Thomas Rickman (1776-1841), the first man to divide the medieval periods into Norman, Early English,
Decorated and Perpendicular. On the left, the 'Gothic' school has been badly treated above its ground storey.
An extract from
Leicestershire Villages Photographic Memories.