Lyne School Peebles - a Memory of Hawick.

Did anybody attend a very small school called lyne school. Only about 13 people in the whole school! The teacher was miss/Mrs moncrief.very happy memories. It was near lyne Kirk where my name Jim shepley or edward shepley appears on the christening roll of honour. Have visited this little church many times. My sister was called mary shepley.we used to walk home through the fields to lyne farm where we lived as my dad worked on the farm for a Mr.scarth. my mother's name was Margaret shepley nee Cockburn.

A memory shared by Susan Shepley on Mar 10th, 2014. Send Susan Shepley a message

Sun Feb 14th 2021, at 12:27 pm
John Waddell commented:
I now look after cademuir farm for Patricia anderson ,I have been told her late mother and father were friends of the Scarth family who used to visit cademuir which is only a few miles from lyne
Sun Feb 14th 2021, at 12:23 pm
John Waddell commented:
I still correspond with Bob Scarth who is now in a retirement home in new Zealand ,my father got the tenancy of lyne in 1961 after the death of Mr Scarth but when my father died a lawyer made a legal error which stopped me form getting the tenancy even though I had been running the farm for over 30 years ,wemyss estate too the farm back in hand and employ a manager to run it but quite frankly they are making quite a mess of what is a very good farm
Fri Jun 3rd 2016, at 4:05 pm
macmij47 commented:
Fond memories of the Scarth family.
Fri Jun 3rd 2016, at 4:04 pm
macmij47 commented:
John Waddell and Heather Holdridge my name is Jim McCulloch my mother was Mary Jane McCulloch who for a time in the early 1960s was housekeeper to the Scarth family, we lived on the last cottage up the hill where the road turned sharply round to the main farm house and buildings, our neighbour's were old Tom Harkness and his daughter Ina, Tom was a retired shepherd. I remember Bob Scarth going to run or teach at an agricultural college in NZ and have fond memories of the Scarth and out time at the farm. We also lived at Mikieston Farm Cottage near Eddleston and in Peebles itself where my mother worked for Dr Wilson. I emigrated to Australia in 1962 through the BBM when I was 16 years old, Jim McCulloch, Perth, WA.
Fri Jun 3rd 2016, at 3:39 pm
macmij47 commented:
Mon Apr 27th 2015, at 5:33 pm
My mother is Fay Scarth, daughter of the Mr Scarth mentioned above. Bob Scarth is her brother. My aunt Emily Scarth (now deceased) was great friends with Miss Moncrieff the schoolmistress and the whole family had very fond memories of their time at Lyne. I brought my Mum back to visit Lyne in 1999 and John and his family made us most welcome. I'm so very sorry that you are no longer there, John but hope that you are all happy and well.
Fri Apr 10th 2015, at 8:46 pm
info commented:
Forgot to say i am john waddell and lyne school closed in 1961 as well that was my first year at school my son and daughter were christened at lyne church and my son married there a few months before we had to leave the farm which was caused by a lawyers mistake resulting in the landlord terminating the tenancy
Fri Apr 10th 2015, at 8:42 pm
info commented:
I went to lyne school in 1961,my father became the tenant farmer that year and i farmed lyne untill i lost the tenancy in 2010 ,i write to a bob scarth who lives in new zealand and whose father was the previous farmer till he died