More about this scene
Caption for Leven, Houseboats C1955:
To increase the trade of the local estate, Charlotte Bethell, the wife of the lord of the manor, financed this three-mile long canal, which opened in 1802. 90-ton keelboats brought coal to Leven and returned to the River Hull with a cargo of bricks, rope, corn and candles. The canal basin was later filled in, and is now a private garden; the canal warehouse, built in 1825, is now used for housing. The houseboats are no longer here, but have been replaced by canal-side caravans.