Nostalgic memories of Woodhouse Eaves's local history

Share your own memories of Woodhouse Eaves and read what others have said

For well over 10 years now, we've been inviting visitors to our web site to add their own memories to share their experiences of life as it was when the photographs in our archive were taken. From brief one-liners explaining a little bit more about the image depicted, to great, in-depth accounts of a childhood when things were rather different than today (and everything inbetween!). We've had many contributors recognising themselves or loved ones in our photographs. Why not add your memory today and become part of our Memories Community to help others in the future delve back into their past.

A couple at a laptop

Add a Memory!

It's easy to add your own memories and reconnect with your shared local history. Search for your favourite places and look for the 'Add Your Memory' buttons to begin

Add Your Memory for Woodhouse Eaves

Tips & Ideas

Not sure what to write? It's easy - just think of an important place in your life and ask yourself:

  • How does it feature in your personal history?
  • What are your best memories of this place?
  • How has it changed over the years?
  • How does it feel, seeing these places again?
  • Do you remember stories about the community, its history and people?

This week's Places

Here are some of the places people are talking about in our Share Your Memories community this week:

...and hundreds more! Enjoy browsing more recent contributions now.


Join the thousands who receive our regular doses of warming nostalgia! Have our latest blog posts and archive news delivered directly to your inbox. Absolutely free. Unsubscribe anytime.

I was here in 1957 recovering from pneumonia. I was sent through the motor panels where my dad worked. I was seriously home sick as my dad didn't have a car so I only saw them once the whole time I was there.wendy benn

My name is Jacqueline Billingsley. I was sent here in the 1950's from hospital due to kidney problems. I remember the Matron who would take her small dog for walks every morning in the woods. Being very fond of dogs even at a young age but the Matron would never let any of us pet or even play with her dog. I had a (...Read full memory)

My name is Carl Wilkinson and I was born in 1954 and up until I was 14 I suffered from very bad Asthma my doctor said I had a church organ in my chest that was out of tune, so I was sent there I think in 1959 for the better air there was there, it had to be better than the air in Edwards lane, Nottingham, I can (...Read full memory)

I had a two week stay at the convalescent home following an operation to remove my tonsils.It was 1957/58 I was 7yrs old and the worst two weeks of my life.I too remember having to write a letter home. I had to dictate this letter to a nurse.Before we started I asked if I could go to the toilet and the nurse said no, I (...Read full memory)

It was July/August of 1950 when I was sent here from my home town of Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent at the age of eight, to convalesce after a serious post-operative infection. My first impressions were of a grim-looking, foreboding building, but those first, gloomy impressions were (...Read full memory)

I think this was the convalescent home I was sent to in 1947 when I was 5 years old. My family referred to it as "Charnwood" which is confusing me. The picture is vaguely familiar.though. I was very unhappy there and the nursing staff and matron seemed heartless and stupid! I was sent there because I had (...Read full memory)

I too spent about 6 weeks there in the early sixties. i had recovered from Polio but was very sickly. i remember sleeping in the woods at lunch time if the weather was good all the ground sheets where stored in a shed. i remember how nice the cleared patch in the woods looked and felt you could not see (...Read full memory)

My name is Tony Walton and I have many fond memories of Woodhouse Eaves. My family moved to the village in 1942 when my father was stationed at Beaumanor. I had two brothers, Brian and Peter and initially we lived at 39 Victoria Road before moving to 11 Herrick Road when the new estate was built (...Read full memory)

After all these years of thinking just my imagination, only to find I was not the only one to suffer abuse at this terrible place. AH the good old days when children were seen but not heard, 50+ years later is a little to late. I hope and pray other victims find some peace of mind.

All I ever wanted was to be a nurse but not having the exam results to do this our family Doctor suggested to my mother I go to a Children's Convalescence Unit in Woodhouse Eaves and work voluntary; at first I thought this was would be a great adventure. I arrived on a Sunday ready to start work on the Monday, I was (...Read full memory)