More about this scene
West Dorset's medieval seamark on a conical hill above the Chesil Beach was retained after the closure of Abbotsbury Abbey in 1539, and repaired in 1742. Apart from the door, it is entirely stone-built, without any timbers. Chapels on hills were often dedicated to the patron saint of spinsters. Women in search of a husband used a traditional prayer: 'A husband, St Catherine. A handsome one, St Catherine. A rich one, St Catherine. A nice one, St Catherine. And soon, St Catherine.'