More about this scene


Caption for Aberdour, Steamer At The Pier 1897: Excursion trips flourished on the east coast of Scotland until 2 August 1914, when the Admiralty effectively closed the Firth of Forth to non-essential shipping. Well-patronised excursions had included Leith to the Fife resorts and then up to Dundee, and Leith to Alloa and Stirling. Those short of funds could take a non-landing trip to Burntisland for 10d return. One of the companies active on the Forth was the Galloway Saloon Steam Packet Co. Founded in June 1886, it was acquired a few years later by the North British Steam Packet Co, a subsidiary of the North British Railway. However, the GSSPCo retained its old title, and was left very much to its own devices. Between 1886 and 1900 the Forth was livened up when the GSSPCo broke away from the more sombre liveries of the day: it gave its paddlers lavender-coloured hulls with a red waterline, white paddle-box facings, yellow funnels and varnished woodwork.

Sparked a Memory for you?

If this has sparked a memory, why not share it here?

Tools

Add to Album