More about this scene


Caption for Abinger Hammer, the Village c1955: Across the chalk ridge, the route returns to the greensand country, and to one of Surrey's prettiest and most wooded areas. Abinger Hammer is most well known for its spectacular clock, which is attached to the corner of a typical late 19th-century Surrey vernacular tile-hung house. The house was tea-rooms in the 1950s, and still is today. The clock was rebuilt in 1891 for Lord Farrer of Abinger Hall: a blacksmith figure strikes the bell every hour. The village is somewhat traffic-choked - it is situated on the A25 - but the Abinger Arms beyond the clock also offers refreshment.

Memories of Abinger Hammer, the Village c1955

Now, sadly, the Abinger Arms Public House is closed. This view, if taken by the same point, has not changed at all, apart from a bit more traffic coming via Guildford to Dorking and vice versa.

Sparked a Memory for you?

If this has sparked a memory, why not share it here?

Tools

Add to Album