More about this scene
Caption for Crossmichael, The Village C1960:
This small village sits astride the road from Ayr to Castle Douglas. Its roots have always been in its farming community, and here we see cut corn being dried in the sun, stacked in stooks in the traditional manner. Houses and cottages, many single-storey and built of local stone with slate roofs, line the long, winding main street. The church is believed to have been built in 1547, and the attractive round bell tower was added in 1611.