Saxby, St Peter's Church c.1955

Photo ref: S546002

More about this scene


Caption for Saxby, The Church C1955: St Peters was designed by architect George Richardson in 1789 (for Robert Sherrard, 4th Earl of Harborough) in the Classical manner that Pevsner describes as 'an attempt at combining the tradition of Hawksmoor churches of London with Leicestershire usage'. The finest feature is its tower with angle volutes and vases crowned by a slim spire. Not only did the 4th Earl build at Saxby, he also commissioned St Mary Magdalen, Stapleford, and Holy Trinity, Teigh. The 4th Earl, known as the building Earl, enlarged Stapleford Hall, the ancestral home, built a bridge at Melton Mowbray, and the Town Hall at Market Harborough.

An extract from Leicestershire Villages Photographic Memories.

More about this scene


Caption for Saxby, The Church C1955: St Peters was designed by architect George Richardson in 1789 (for Robert Sherrard, 4th Earl of Harborough) in the Classical manner that Pevsner describes as 'an attempt at combining the tradition of Hawksmoor churches of London with Leicestershire usage'. The finest feature is its tower with angle volutes and vases crowned by a slim spire. Not only did the 4th Earl build at Saxby, he also commissioned St Mary Magdalen, Stapleford, and Holy Trinity, Teigh. The 4th Earl, known as the building Earl, enlarged Stapleford Hall, the ancestral home, built a bridge at Melton Mowbray, and the Town Hall at Market Harborough.

An extract from Leicestershire Villages Photographic Memories.

Buy the Print

Buy "Saxby, St Peter's Church c.1955" Available as a print, mounted, framed, or on canvas.

Prices from £22 to £255