The Volunteer Inn
A Memory of Twyford.
Volunteer was built in 1703 and as far as we can find out, it possibly became a pub in 1840s. It ceased trading in 1973 when it was sold by the brewery to the Gray family. The Grays converted it back into a house. We bought Volunteer in 2001 and it still looks much the same from the outside. The door between the two windows (beneath the pub sign), used to lead into the Saloon Bar, which is now our study; the door was replaced some years ago with another window. We are currently renovating the property back to its former glory. Local people have told us various stories from years gone by when this place was a Pub! Local research has shown that the Volunteer was owned by Benjamin Vokes in the 1840s until 1890s; he built the Public Bar which is to the right of the picture (can't be fully seen though in the picture). There was also a Jug & Bottle which was entered via yet another door (Volunteer had 4 front doors in total)! Benjamin Vokes and his wife are both buried at our local church. The house has a cellar which we have taken full advantage of! The large car park was sold off 30 years ago or so and a house has been built there. If anyone else has any memories of The Volunteer Inn please get in touch!