More about this scene
Caption for Woodchester, The Roman Catholic Church 1890:
William Leigh bought the Woodchester estate in 1845. A wealthy merchant from Liverpool, he had recently converted to the Roman Catholic faith; having donated £4,000 to build a cathedral in Adelaide, he now wanted to establish a monastic community in the Cotswolds. The monastery was built in Woodchester, and part of it - the Church of Our Lady - can be seen in the village to this day. The rest, however, was demolished in 1970.